Friday, August 10, 2007

Okay second post today because I've decided to do what Rachie did and post my letter for Jaan here too. YAO YOU CAN COPY AND PASTE FROM HERE.

Jaan has been my coach since he came at the end 2004. At that time, I wasn't a very good swimmer, and making the SEA Age team was anything but a reality for me. Further, I was getting very sick of swimming, and used to hope that it would rain, or that there would be a traffic jam on the way so that I would be able to miss even 10 minutes of training. I think this attitude changed drastically shortly after Jaan began coaching us. Being a self-motivated athlete is, of course, essential, but I believe that the attitude of the coach also plays a large part in enhancing the athlete's passion, as well as prowess in the sport. I think Jaan managed to do all this for us, in that, although (he has very honestly told us) we were a largely undisciplined squad when he came, he managed to spark in us a passion for the sport that many of us had never previously felt. Furthermore, I think his sense of humor (lame jokes etc) and his willingness to hear us out before judging us, as well as his patience in disciplining the squad has made us the closest we've ever been to a coach, and he has definitely won our respect like no other coach.

Putting personal opinions and emotions aside, I believe that Jaan has also more than accomplished the objectives set for him by the committee when he was hired in 2004. I believe the objectives included raising the club's overall position at Asean Cup, Putting more than 5 (?) swimmers on the SEA Age team, and producing a SEA Games swimmer (okay I'm not sure if this one is right). As far as we know, SSC has risen more than one position in the Asean Cup ranking since Jaan came. Furthermore, SSC had way more than 5 swimmers on the SEA Age team this year. We had, in fact, 9 swimmers, which is almost double the number previously set to him. Lastly, we have, of course, Ng Tze Kang, who has qualified for the cat B SEA Games time. Therefore it is not to say that Jaan has failed to achieve any of the objectives set to him. On the contrary, he has raised the standard of swimming in SSC by leaps and bounds, and with the effectiveness that no other coach seemed to have after almost all of our best swimmers left the club. He has brought many of us to a standard we would never have imagined we would be able to achieve, and we feel that he certainly deserves to stay, as he is nothing else but an asset to the club.

OKAY I'm done, and I wish I wrote better, but there's nothing I can do about that. If Jaan's contract doesn't get renewed I'm going to ________. Its to early to make hasty decisions, so I won't post anything as yet. And now someone can't say that I dont't him to stay. I wrote this simply because he's my coach, and I really want him to stay. (even though I don't think this will have any bearing on the decision at all.) And people from other clubs please don't judge us, because although SSC hasn't reached the standard that many of the other clubs are at, I think we've done pretty well for ourselves, so srsly, don't judge us.

Imma stick it out till the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home